Friday, August 27, 2010

First Week at Bay Vista

The first week of "big boy" school is over and according to Te it's been "good". Yup - that's it - "good". Not "I've made new friends and have fun" or "we learned about xyz", nope, just "good". I know he likes it because when he wakes in the morning he asks about going back but I seem to be the only one talking when I ask about his day. Kind of reminds me of my brother at the dinner table growing up. All the girls talked and my brother would give one word answers about his day. Fun conversation. :) Anyway, we made it on time every day and had all papers signed and returned. Since this is a fundamental school, EVERYTHING makes a difference. The family gets demerits if late, or daily homework is not checked and signed by the parent, if 30 minutes of reading is not done nightly, or if meeting are missed etc. It really keeps the parent involved and on top of things but at the same time, it is a wee bit stressful. I was very impressed with his teacher who has a very hefty agenda for these kids. I really feel Te will be successful with her because she seems to have a kind but firm way of teaching - just perfect for Te. The first project I was shown was a picture she had the kids draw on the first day. The task was to draw a picture and tell a story from start to finish about something you did over the summer. Te drew a circle. The teacher asked him why a circle and he replied "We did a lot and it holds all my stories together." Pretty smart if ya ask me. Here's hoping the rest of the year will be as fun!

1 comment:

kelly said...

Love his answer about the circle!